If you have ever been around a horse in person, it is easy to see why these majestic animals have been highly admired by past civilizations and people worldwide. Horses are graceful yet powerful enough to gallop quickly and carry people across distances. One of the best ways to supplement a horse’s health is with CBD oil for horses.
CBD oil is not only for people. Pet owners can give it to dogs, cats, and even horses for all of the benefits it provides. CBD oil is not just a trend but a healthy alternative that boosts wellness.
Find out why more and more horse admirers and professional breeders are providing their animals with CBD. Read on further to see what CBD oil is made of, how it works, its benefits for horses, and more!
CBD oil is made with a combination of two simple ingredients from plants. The two main ingredients are:
- Hemp Seed Oil: This carrier oil is created from the seeds of industrial hemp plants. It is highly regarded as a superfood containing omega 3-6-9 fatty acids that boost the immune system.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD (cannabidiol) oil: Extracted using the safest method possible from legally grown hemp. It contains compounds from hemp, such as CBD, other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
Both of these ingredients are all-natural, organic, and 100 percent vegan. They do not contain any harmful preservatives, additives. CBD oil for horses does not contain any GMOs (genetically modified organisms).
CBD oil for horses is super lightweight and can be carried anywhere! Check out the product specs below.
- CBD oil for Horses 7500 mg- Bottle Size: 120 ml
- Serving size: 4 oz or 1 ml = 62.5 mg of CBD
It is important to store all CBD products in a cool dark place to ensure freshness and optimal shelf life. You should keep CBD oil for horses in a cool dark location where it can remain fresh for one year and up to two years.
So you know what the serving size of CBD oil is for horses, but you are wondering how much exactly to give it? The dosing recommendations are pretty simple to figure out with this dosage chart and calculator. Here is a dosing formula available that is easy to solve as well.
- Regular Dose: For a regular dose, multiply 0.25 mg to the horse’s total weight in pounds.
- Strong Dose: A strong dose is a regular dose doubled. Multiply 0.5 to the horse’s total weight in pounds.
- Dosing Frequency: Depending on the severity of the condition, provide it to your horse every six to eight hours.
You can apply CBD oil for horses directly into your horse’s mouth, or you can add it to their water and snacks. Apply the appropriate dose on a carrot and feed it to your horse.
Lab Testing Results
How do you know the CBD oil for horses you are purchasing is safe? A Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a trusted document from a third-party laboratory that tests CBD products for cannabinoid content and any potential harmful byproducts.
Any trustworthy CBD brand should provide a COA for each of their CBD products on their packaging or website.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidiol and is one of 113 naturally occurring compounds known as cannabinoids. It is found in hemp plants and is highly regarded for providing benefits when interacting with a mammal’s body.
People seek CBD products because they do not have any intoxicating side effects associated with THC. CBD products must contain less than 0.3 percent of THC to be sold and distributed legally at the federal level.
CBD-infused products have increased in demand and consumption thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill. The bill laid out guidelines for hemp farmers and CBD companies seeking to cultivate, sell and transport CBD products for people and their pets around the country.
Over the years, researchers and scientists in the medical field have conducted studies to see how CBD works in the body to provide its benefits. It turns out that all mammalian creatures can benefit from CBD.
What Are the Benefits of CBD Oil for Horses?
CBD oil for horses offers various benefits that could potentially save you a trip to the vet and lots of money! The dosage you provide and the medical alignment your horse is experiencing can determine how effective these benefits are.
- Enhances Mood: Some horse breeds are easier to train than others. CBD oil effectively improves your horse’s behavior, which in return can make them easier to train.
- Eases Nervousness: Horses are susceptible to anxious behavior. Whether they get nervous from being transported or being exposed to other animals, CBD for horses helps provide them with tranquility.
- Soothes Physical Discomfort and Joint Swelling: After a day of running around or carrying people, horses can become tired. They can deal with annoying aches that can be uncomfortable. Studies have shown that CBD contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help a horse with physical discomfort.
- Promotes Natural Digestion: Horses are herbivores that love eating hay. CBD can help promote natural digestion and may help alleviate symptoms associated with an upset stomach, such as nausea and vomiting.
- Boosts Healthy Skin and Coat: You can braid and style a horse’s mane in many different ways. CBD oil for horses helps add a boost to their overall skin and coat health.
The statements regarding CBD oil for horses have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note that CBD products are not intended to cure, diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.
How Does CBD Oil Work with Horses?
It turns out that people, horses, and other mammals have something in common, an endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system is responsible for carrying out the effects of CBD oil within the body.
The ECS has two receptors that interact directly with CBD oil.
- CB1 Receptors: These receptors are located in the horse’s central nervous system.
- CB2 Receptors: It is located throughout a horse’s gut and immune system.
When CBD oil is consumed, it is usually consumed orally, where it travels through the digestion system and is absorbed through the bloodstream. Once it makes its way through, the blood is carried to the receptors of the ECS, where it then provides its effects.
CBD oil with less than 0.3 percent of THC is full spectrum CBD oil. It contains the legal amount of THC and will not provide any intoxicating effects.
If you have a professional horse for racing or equestrian events, you might prefer broad spectrum CBD oil, which contains undetectable amounts of THC that will not show up in drug tests for your horse.
Whether you choose broad spectrum or full spectrum CBD oil for horses, it will provide the “entourage effect.” The entourage effect happens when all the terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids in the hemp plant combine to boost CBD oil’s positive effects.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Horses
CBD oil is safe and well-tolerated for horses. Plenty of studies have been done to show how CBD for horses is beneficial to their well-being.
Horses cannot overdose from CBD. There has never been a report about a CBD overdose with people or pets.
One common concern that many first-time CBD consumers share is if CBD can leave your horse feeling “high.” CBD oil for horses does produce any intoxicating effects since it contains trace amounts of THC that are not enough to induce those unwanted feelings.
There are a few side effects that can occur. It is important to note that these effects are temporary and are non-fatal.
- Change in appetite
- Mild restlessness and or agitation
- Increased thirst from dry mouth
- Mild upset stomach and or temporary diarrhea
- Slight drowsiness and or fatigue
- A minor decrease in blood pressure
You can safely administer CBD oil for horses with other medication since it is made up of natural ingredients that work with your horse’s natural endocannabinoid system. If you have any questions about mixing your horse’s medication with CBD oil, consult with a veterinarian.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Give My Horse?
We recommend starting with a smaller dose if your horse is going to receive CBD oil for the first time. It is important to know your horse’s exact weight or an approximation of it to get an idea of what a regular dose is.
For example, how do you figure out a regular dosage amount for a horse that weighs 1000 pounds? Refer to the regular dosage formula (horse’s weight in pounds x .25 mg = regular dose in milligrams). One thousand times 0.25 equals 250, so a horse weighing 1000 pounds will need 250 mg of CBD for a regular dose.
If your horse uses CBD oils for the first time, start with half of a regular dose. Using the example above, half of 250 mg is 125 mg. Make sure to observe your horse after giving it a first dose to see if there are any side effects.
As it becomes more used to it, you can increase its dosage amount gradually. The effects of CBD oil can take up to 30 to 60 minutes to kick in and can last four to six hours.
Results from the remedial effects of CBD oil for horses depend on the severity of the issue and the potency of the CBD oil. You can see intermittent effects within 45 minutes of consumption. More persistent issues can take a couple of days to two weeks to show improvement.
Why Choose Healthy Petables for CBD?
Finding the right best CBD oil and other CBD products is not easy, with so many different brands to choose from. Save yourself from that extensive search and choose Healthy Petables!
Healthy Petables was founded in 2019 by a group of proud pet owners who sought to find the most natural ways to keep their animals healthy. They offer all-natural CBD products that are not only for horses but for cats and dogs too!
What makes Healthy Petables one of the top CBD brands in the market? Here’s a list of reasons why pet owners everywhere choose Healthy Petables!
- Transparent: All of our products contain a COA from a third-party lab to ensure product safety.
- Resourceful: We do not only provide CBD products, but we also provide informative articles to help you understand your pets better.
- Positive Consumer Feedback: Pet parents love our products! Check out all of our five-star reviews available on our website.
Final Thoughts – CBD Oil for Horses
Horses have always been amazing, whether on TV or in person. People have always been amazed by these graceful, noble animals. If you own a horse, you understand and appreciate horses on a whole different level.
These animals provide so much support and affection that they deserve the best care. CBD oil for horses is an amazing way of caring for your horse by providing it with a boost to its overall wellness. If you want to check out more CBD products, check out Healthy Petables!